I have more journals than I could possibly need. And yet I keep buying more. I’ll use them up eventually! Journals are just a fun thing to buy and to have. But I do have quite a few at this point, so I’ve started trying to come up with different uses for them (because simply writing in them only really works one at a time, and that can be a pretty slow process).
I found a journal one day while I was perusing Chapters and it’s just a blank page notebook that has quotes from Jane Austen novels and letters of correspondence scattered throughout it. Of course, I had to buy it. I decided that I would dedicate this journal to my all-time favourite quotes, from books, movies, songs, and even real life. Any time I hear something that I like, into the quote book it goes.
I always loved reminiscing over classic quotes, so I thought a journal full of them would be a really nice thing to have. There’s just something about a great quote that gets your blood pumping. It’s a great pick-me-up to just browse through them. I can flip to a page, read a random great quote, and go away with a smile on my face. All the quotes have some kind of meaning for me – they made me laugh really hard, they broke my heart, they made me go “huh”, they brought up the ol’ nostalgia feels. So I’m collecting all those moments together, and I’m pretty happy with what I’ve got so far.
Here are my top ten favourite quotes that have come into my life:
10. “Why so serious?” – The Joker
9. “Curiouser and curiouser.” – Alice, Alice in Wonderland
8. “In order to write about life first you must live it.” – Ernest Hemingway
7. “You will never know how much I loved that woman.” – Franz Joseph I, on hearing of the death of the Empress Elisabeth
6. “As you wish.” – Wesley, The Princess Bride
5. “How wonderful life is now you’re in the world.” – Elton John, “Your Song”
4. “For who could ever learn to love a beast?” – Narrator, Beauty and the Beast
3. “You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” – Aibileen, The Help
2: “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you go on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.” – Cinderella, Cinderella (1950 Walt Disney film)
And my absolute all-time favourite quote, that I do not think will ever change because it is so beautiful and sums up everything I have ever believed in so perfectly is:
“The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – (Originally from “Nature Boy” by Nat King Cole, introduced to me in my favourite movie, Moulin Rouge)
How about your favourite quotes? Any classic quotes you think I should know about? I’d love to hear them!