These will be the best cinnamon buns you will ever have. I promise. A long-time favourite of mine, and hopefully soon-to-be favourite of yours!
Here’s what you need:
For filling –
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
For dough –
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1 cup cold milk
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease bottoms and sides of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Cream the 1/3 cup butter portion, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Press approximately 1 tsp of your mixture into each of the muffin cups (pictured below). Keep the rest for later.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter portion until mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Stir to form soft dough, adding a bit of milk if needed.
- Knead dough 8-10 times. I usually just do this in the bowl, but feel free to turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface for kneading. Once you have kneaded the dough, roll it out into a rectangle, about 1/3 inch thick and 12 inches long.
- Spread the remaining cinnamon mixture over the dough, spreading evenly out to the edges.
- Roll up your dough so that it looks like a log. Mark dough where you want to cut it, then cut into 12 pieces. Place pieces into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. (I suggest placing your muffin tin on top of a tray and placing it in the oven like that. When these buns bake, they get very gooey and will probably melt over the sides, so the baking tray will prevent your oven from getting covered in cinnamony goodness. Less tricky cleaning for you!)
- Enjoy your scumptious, ooey gooey cinnamon buns! 🙂
This recipe also has a glaze for the cinnamon buns, but I don’t think it’s necessary. These buns are sweet enough on their own!